Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's a greyhounds life

Its Ranting time:

Until I started volunteering at the DSPCA I did not think there was anything wrong with greyhound racing. In fact I thought it was a good nights entertainment. You could drink (naturally!) and do a bit of gambling. I would even suggest it as a possibility for works outing.

I no longer think that way:

This is what happens to a lot of them when they are no longer able to race or have just not made the grade. These are the lucky ones because they are at the DSPCA they will be kept until a home is found.

Others are sent to dog pounds where they are put down. Others have an even worse fate - Heres a poem I nicked off one of the numerous greyhound rescue sites:


Racing days are over
Thought the pain would go away
But soon I learned a different fate
Was headed straight my way

He reached his hands into my cage
And pushed me out once more
I glanced at all my weary friends
As he led me out the door




It hurts to walk; it hurts to stand
Been through all I could endure
But all my pains are nothing that
Somebody's love could not cure

I'm pushed against a concrete wall
And know I've failed the test
He said I wasn't fast enough
And reached into his vest




I close my eyes and cower
As I shake, my senses dull
Then I feel the barrel of a gun
Against my skull

Isn't there a better way
To entertain a crowd?
But my thoughts are interrupted
By a noise so hard and loud




I'm just another failure
Racing to my final day
And sometimes all the winners
Will lose a race someday

They call it an "exciting sport"
They say that it's humane
But a sport that always ends in death
To me, is not a game

(c) Addie Patricia Asay



Maybe the next time you will think twice about going to the dogs for a night out.

No comments: