Monday, April 28, 2008

A Canadian Club that will make you sick! (other than the whisky)

Well my first week of my year out is nearly over and to be honest all I have done is get drunk! Leaving dos at work, leaving dos with friends - just about any excuse for a piss up. Today will be the first day that I have not woken up with a hangover so I think its time to get this conservation stuff started.

Last Friday afternoon while I was in between gigs I went down to Dalkey harbour and sat watching the seals. Even took a couple of photos.

So here is a not too good picture of a grey seal (Halichoerus grypus, meaning "hooked-nosed sea pig"!)



Seeing these timid looking animals reminded me of what the Canadians are doing to their relatives at this very moment so I am going to make this post my first official RANT.

The following video shows baby seals being clubbed to death for their pelts - not food. It is not for the faint hearted.



Here's a link that shows what goes where and who makes uses them.

http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/pelts.html

Luckily I don't know anybody rich enough to own a prada bag. Mind you a friend of mine did go into a prada shop in Milan once and enquired about the price of a bag to which the reply was 'If you need to know the price then you can't afford it'. Aunts!

No comments: