Wednesday, September 17, 2008

South African Food

I have been in South Africa nearly 2 months now and have discovered all sorts of good and not so good things about the place on my travels.

Lets start with the second most important thing (after beer) Food.

South Africans love their meat. I have already mentioned the Braai which seems to be even more of an institution here than in Australia. (I have been kindly informed that braai day is on 24th Sep - so I can expect every household in Cape town to be out burning meat on that day)

As well as the usual chops, steaks and pork sausages they also like to do boerewors which are spicy sausages (quite nice). They also do potjiekos which are layered stews with the meat at the bottom (quite often venison of some sort - eg kudo) followed by various vegtables layered according to how long they take to cook.

They also have biltong which is dried meats - basically beef jerky but which can be from any animal - especially kudo and other antelope. I have not tried any yet. I will try to pluck up the courage before I leave.

But the best thing here when it comes to meat is their pies. Every supermarket, deli and even petrol station has a pie section and they are fantastic. As well as the usual Cornish pasties and mince beef you can get vegetarian (if you really want to!) and my favourite spicy chicken peri-peri. They also have the meatiest sausage rolls I have ever had. There is a pie place just outside Port Elizabeth which does venison pies and the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted. Mind you we did go there just after my 3 day vegetarian stint at Kariega so I think a rancid piece of leather would have tasted good!

All together now "Ray, you fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies!"

Another staple food which basically sustained me in enkosini were rusks. Not farley rusks for babies but a type of dried bread which you dunked into your tea (to stop chipping a tooth).

Mealie Pap which is maize porridge is the most widely eaten food in South Africa and I had some at the boma (sort of traditional all-you-can-eat buffet) at Kariega. It is supposed to be very bland. I thought it was mashed potatoes and had so much kudo stew with it that I never really noticed any taste.

I have not eaten any seafood (because I don't) so I can't really tell you anything about it. I have also joined JBA - Jungle bars anonymous - it has now been 2 days since my last jungle bar - and counting!


Horse riding on beach: Kariega

No comments: