Sunday, January 4, 2009

WHAT!

Communications

Over the last couple of months I have learnt several things about my accent causing problems communicating with other people.

For example the German girls I have met here do not understand all the words I say.

This can be very frustrating when you are trying to say something:

Me: That was a lovely piece of cake
Nina: ?
Me: Cake
Nina: ?
Me: cake you know caaake
Nina: ?
Me: Cake, Cake, Cake - Luke tell her
Luke: Cake
Nina: Ah cake!
Me: thats what I said!

Me: Are you going on a date?
Lisa: ?
Me: Date, Date DAAAAATE
Lisa: ?
Me: D A T E - Daaaaaate
Lisa: Ah date

Me: Xenia, Warrior Princess, How are you?
Xenia, Warrior Princess: ?
Me: What are you up to today
Xenia, Warrior Princess: ?
Me: Do you understand me?
Xenia, Warrior Princess: ?


The other thing that has been pointed out to me is that when us Nordies talk its like we are giving out to people - especially using the word 'what'.

Apparently when I say what I say it so fast and with such venom it is interpreted by other people as 'WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT!' I am going to have to make a concerted effort to say pardon rather than What! from now on. (lets face it I won't!)

GLOSSARY UPDATE
G
Grand
Word used by Irish people to cover just about every feeling under the sun: See Awesome for similar use by Americans and Australians.

eg: How are you today?
I'm grand (Really means: I have a thunping hangover, now piss off)

How do I look in this?
You look grand (Really means: Your bum looks big in that)

What did you think of your shark diving?
It was grand (Really means: It was awesome)

No comments: