Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Quokka




Other than biking and snorkeling the other reason why I wanted to go to Rottnest island was to see these little creatures.

I thought after 3 hours of biking round the island that I wasn't going to see any (except one badly decomposed one which might have been the pic I used!).

I should have just stayed near the main boat jetty - cause that is where we seen them! You could almost touch them they were that fearless of you.

I shall just add a link to Wikepedia for more info.

Quokka

These marsupials are very rare on the mainland but are quite common on Rottnest and some other islands off the coast off Perth because they have no introduced predators. That just about sums up quite a lot of Australias wildlife - they are only able to survive properly on offshore islands.

No comments: